My reasons for joining Agent Academy are much like those of the rest of my cohort; I am trying to learn as much as I can about the creative, digital and tech industry, so that I’m able kickstart my career.
Agent Academy has given an opportunity that has not been presented to me before, which is to connect with experts in the industry and work with a charity that has always been close to my heart, the Anthony Walker Foundation. Having always had a passion to combine my creative side with bringing about social justice, to say I am thrilled to be involved in this challenge, would be an understatement.
With that being said, I have collected all of the knowledge that I’ve learnt so far and formed my top 5 must do’s to take advantage of all that Agent Academy has to offer:
5. Take advantage of guest industry speaker talks. Asking questions is key here, as the diverse calibre of speakers opens you up to a huge scope of information. Here, it is also advised to build connections with guest speakers, both offline and online, to really expose yourself to the industry. After all, it’s not often you’ll get to rub shoulders with the best in the business!
4. TAKE NOTES! Collating the information and advice that guest speakers provide, as well as from learning sessions, has helped me massively in applying relevant information to our client challenge. This will also be useful, not only whilst you are on the Academy, but in the role that you go into in the future. You never know when this knowledge may come in handy.
3. Throw yourself into the client challenge! Really immerse yourself into what the client is asking of you and think as creatively as you can. Don’t be afraid to contribute your thoughts and ideas, no matter how crazy they may seem!
2. Although it can be daunting to be thrown into a group of complete strangers, be confident and comfortable to voice your ideas and opinions. Doing this can lead to a chain of other members contributing to their ideas, which may well be developed and can become a huge part of what you are working towards. What’s the worst that could happen?
1. And most of all, enjoy yourself! The weeks pass so quicky so fully engage with the whole experience, embrace every individual’s personal skills and inputs, and savour every minute because how often does an opportunity like Agent Academy come along?
So far, as an 18-year-old who is not certain on what I want to do with my future, being involved with Agent Academy has made me realise that sometimes it’s ok not to know exactly what your future holds!
In short, I am very happy that I said yes to Agent Academy.