It can be difficult to get started in your dream career when you don’t even know where to begin! It’s time to stop waiting for the perfect job to appear and start taking matters into our own hands.
Are you struggling to get a job because of lack of experience? Or do you just want to make your CV stand out? Here are 3 super helpful tips to help you be proactive and create your own future. Be your own fairy godmother and wave away the age-old dilemma of “need a job to get experience but need experience to get a job”, goodbye!
- Upskill yourself –
Michelangelo once said at age 87, “I am still learning”. It is so important to keep learning and growing your mind and skill set. Don’t wait for a job to learn new skills, be proactive and start learning now! (Okay not right now…wait until you’ve finished reading this blog). Here are some useful, free online marketing courses that you can dive into and start learning straight away!
The Best Free Online Marketing Courses:
- Google Digital Garage – fundamentals of digital marketing course
- HubSpot – content marketing courses – the ultimate guide to freelancing
- Future Learn – the No.1 ultimate SEO and WordPress training course
- Coursera – learn how to build a full website using WordPress
- LinkedIn Learning – free modules on a range of subjects
- Begin to Build your portfolio
Start building your portfolio now if you haven’t already. If you’re waiting for the right time, you’ll be waiting forever so make the most of the resources that you have available and just get started! Include things that you are interested in or would like to have a career in, for example if you’re keen on illustration or film-making, include that in your portfolio to attract the most suitable clients/employers for your personal brand.
- Narrow down what your personal brand is – if you don’t know where to start, make a list of the things you’re interested in and go from there.
- Set up an Instagram blog, start your own podcast, or create a newsletter.
- Aim to grow your following on socials and connect with as many people as possible.
- Create a digital portfolio and upload your best designs to showcase your skills.
- Finally, You Must Build your network!
Jobs don’t have to be available for you to seek employment. Create your own opportunities, be proactive, show your value and stand out from the crowd. Say yes to every opportunity that comes your way, ask questions, follow up your contacts and ask to meet up for a coffee to discuss things you’re interested in. It’s important to be friendly and stand out to give your network something to remember you by. After all, your network is your net worth!
- Reach out to a small businesses or local agencies
- Utilise contacts in LinkedIn
- Attend networking events
- Join the Agent Academy programme!